Monday 15 September 2008

Dear Jeffrey Lewis

Having listened heavily to a couple of Jeffrey Lewis albums ever since my girlfriend introduced me to them a couple of years ago, the frankness of his song-writing meant that going to Clwb Ifor Bach last Wednesday to see him play live was like the first meeting with a pen friend you've never replied to.

I can't play guitar but the music seems simple enough for the most part; it's his lyrics that get you. Personal and speaking directly to the audience, Jeffrey Lewis lays his life out on stage. He was visible throughout the supporting acts, either at the merchandise stall or among the punters. We were joined for the last song of The Wave Pictures by Lewis standing next to us making a sketch of the scene. I'm hoping that he works it into his next distinctive interview or failing that the next in his series of comics.

A couple of songs that I hadn't heard before have stuck in my head ever since the gig: Roll bus roll and Broken. Listen yourself and see what I mean about the lyrics. Then go and see him live.

No comments: